The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Nian Liu

Chapters 9-12

Wow...is all i can say, I have dedicated so much time to only come back to where I've started. Stories after stories, and different events affecting the circulation of these stories have brought me only to the book that I am reading myself. Even though I have been tormented by Calvino's never ending maze of books, I have learned that I am also a victim of this endless investigation in these forbidden books. I have went through every story the Reader have read and stopped reading because of the false printing and misguiding publishing information. I have experienced the perspectives of the first reader (main character) and second reader (Lumilla) and it is safe to say that me too, was innocently thrown into this serade of false novels, and by throwing me in Calvino has written the first book that I've ever read and been so involved with at the same time. There was surely a connection between me and the book itself, and this made me feel special that such a manner of writing could be done, but at the same time Wow...I just wasted so much time going in a endless circle of words and sentences. Overall I enjoyed the book, but I would definitly not read this book again for the good of my own mental health. Questions I would like to ask is:
1) Are any of the stories in this book true? Or is it all made up by Calvino
2) Is the part where the Reader and Lumilla gets married suppose to represent a life Calvino himself made for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment