The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Katherine Tesi

This novel continues to interest me and pull me in further. I still enjoy the small bits of each story that are given within every chapter, and I am largely impressed with how well developed each story becomes with such short length. These two chapters in particular have helped me to notice Calvino’s use of time. No where in any of these stories are we given a time period or era in which a certain story is taking place. Furthermore, Calvino almost leaves it up to the reader to decide the time period. Because many of the stories so far can potentially be fit into so many different periods, this detail is truly left up to interpretation. All of the stories, including what seems to be Calvino’s narration between the chapters, continuously use the pronoun “I”. I’ve found that the many characters of “I” begin to become blurred together. Unintentionally, I’ve begun to identify all references to “I” as being Calvino in some sense. This particular occurrence could possibly be deliberate on Calvino’s part, however that still remains unclear.

No comments:

Post a Comment