The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kristin Todd Borges Fiction #1

Monk Eastman was a pretty straight forward story.  I thought that this was an interesting story because it kept me hooked on it.  Though it's already a story before it was put in Borges's novel, you can definitely see his take on the whole idea.  It's interesting to read about how different life was 100 years ago, yet the same.  The idea of gangs is similar to the mob which we have now.  The story of Hakim was a little harder to interpret.  What I got from this story was that Hakim was a man of the past who was taught the art of dying by his uncle.  I didn't understand what the story of the Bull had anything to do with Hakim, but I thought it was an interesting side note.

No comments:

Post a Comment