The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Julie Morvitz

I understood this part of the book more than some of the previous chapters, and it seemed somewhat more interesting. I liked how the book brought yet another author into it, which was Silas Flannery, one of the authors of one of the books within if on a winter’s night a traveler. It gave his perspective on what was going on, and how more than one book of his seemed to be started but not finished. It turned out that some of the books were fake and were not written by him, but it wasn’t clear which one(s). I liked what he wrote about the tormented and the productive reader. Both writers are unsatisfied with their own way of writing, and when they try to write like the other they end up with the same book (at least, I liked that version best). In response to how Ludmilla gets through books, I think that is a very interesting way of looking at writing. I don’t think it’s effective all the time, because I think a book can be good even if its’ repeated words don’t seem very effective. On this same thought, I think a book that seems good from its’ repeated words can turn out to be a worse book than one thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment