The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Janie Cherestal

I honestly do not know what to make of Borges’ short stories “Monk Eastman, Purveyor of Iniquities” and “Hakim, the Masked Dyer of Merv.” It seems as though both stories would have been really interesting if I had understood them. Borges tends to be too wordy in his writing, and by the time I get to the end of the sentence I have to go back because I do not remember the beginning. I did notice though that his stories are pretty violent, and that they end with a person dying, which I find to be a pretty exciting theme. With that, I wonder how one can go about understanding Borges’ stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment