The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kristy Medina

At first I was into the book, I thought I would like it but then I read the first 3 pages and I got extremely discouraged. Right away I find "Traveler: to be very odd in that it present's itself at first through a personal, informal introduction. It's weird and unique that the author talks to us, the readers, as though your his friend. My question/ comment to that is- what's the point of that. I can also tell that this is going to be the type of book where the author starts off by introducing a topic and then runs off on a tangent about random things. That has a tendency to bother me and not allow me to critically think when reading a book. Another thought while reading were the alternative chapter numbers/ chapter titles- what's the purpose of that. Then I realized how similar the format of House is to Traveler in that the author has input on the actual story. Finally, I realized the scheme- the chapters with numbers (1, 2) are the author's "footnotes" or commentary while the chapters with titles ("Outside the town of Malbork) is the actual story of If on a winter's night a traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment