The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Julie Morvitz

I thought these chapters were very good and gripping at times.  I found that every time I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next, the chapter would end and the next one wouldn’t start from the same place.  I had to wait to find out what happened next.  I understood why at some points there were only a few words on each page, but I did not understand why the words were written upside down or on a diagonal.  I don’t see how this helps the text seem more like a film; it is only annoying to turn the book around.  I wonder what Navidson thought was going to happen after he started Exploration #5, because every Exploration before hadn’t ended in a finding of some kind; they only ended in deaths or injuries.  I wasn’t surprised that at the end of Chaper XX, Navidson was dying, without having found what he was looking for.  I highly doubt that he will die, though, so there must be something drastic that happens soon to get him out of this situation.

Discussion Questions

1.  Does Navidson actually expect to find something inside the house?

2.  Will Karen somehow get into the labyrinth and save Navidson?

3.  How can the floor go downwards in both directions, when Navidson just rode down one side of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment