The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Carly Cooper

I find this ending to be quite disappointing. I felt like Johnny’s story had no ending and that Navidson’s story ending so unhappily and without any excitement. I was so angry with Johnny for being unable to turn his life around and have a happy ending. I felt like the letters from his mother were useless and almost confusing. Maybe some insight to what’s wrong with him was given, assuming his mother’s mental and psychological illness was genetic and he now has this problem that will eventually lead to his slow painful death. Overall I really enjoyed the book but I was disappointed with the ending and how it was inconclusive and not so happy. The ending was a little too abrupt for me and I was expecting something a little bit more exciting. I like the book because it was captivating and usually I don’t enjoy such fictional stories but I was intrigued and always wanted to keep reading.
I think it is an interesting book to teach in class. I find that there are a lot of different types of literature used; it teaches that not all novels have to be exactly the same. The way this was written as well as the format of the writing was interesting and give s anew perspective to writing as well as reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment