The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Elisabeth Jeremko

For these chapters, my emotional responses to the characters' plights in the Navidson Record began shifting towards their personal demons, as opposed to the horror of the house itself. I found Holloway's story to be tragic,where his quest to rid himself of inadequacies became the ultimate (failed) test within the spiral staircase. I also began to feel more empathy for Karen. In the earlier chapters, I found Karen's behavior to be rather selfish and unsupportive of Navidson's need for his art. However, when the house began to collapse, I realized how much she had really been putting up with, and I was annoyed with Navidson that they let everything go that far. Although I was emotionally moved by the characters on a more psychological level, there were still aspects that kept these chapters horror-like. The visit of the schoolteacher, the disturbing pictures drawn by Chad and Daisy, and the house taking on a life of its own all kept the story creepy and hard to decipher. I am starting to get mildly vexed with Johnny Truant and his tangents. Earlier, I found his voice interesting and a nice disruption from the rest of the action. However, now I am starting to feel like he is in a state of stasis, where he repeats many of his psychological insecurities and fears over and over again. I would like to see something happen with him in the upcoming chapters. I think one of my favorite parts of the chapters were when different philosophers, scientists, and filmmakers commented about Karen and the house. I found this amusing, where it was guessed how different thinkers would ponder this mystery.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1) Why was the minotaur parts of the Record striked out?

2) How does Tom die, exactly?

3) Is there any significance to Chad always going outside, and Daisy always staying in? Is it gender related symbolism?

4) Who could Delial be?

No comments:

Post a Comment