The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Julie Morvitz

As I saw print continue to change, text being written in odd places and nothing really flowing, I found it difficult to follow anything that was going on.  I tried to read one storyline through, and then go back and read the other.  The footnotes were no longer at the bottom of the page, instead they were on the side, upside down or in a box in the middle of the page.  Although this style confused me, I had never read anything like it so it was interesting to see what the next page would look like and how I would get through reading it.  I liked how in the middle of the story, there was suddenly a comparison between The Navidson Record and other commercial productions.  It was so random (of course, not surprising in this novel), and it continued to talk about the falsification of images because of digital technology. 

            I thought it was ironic that Truant had pushed the scary thoughts out of his mind (or so he thought), but when he realized they were still there he became scared once again.  As he tried to push the thoughts out, it just made them come back.   

1.  Is there a point to the strange layout of text?

2.  Why did Holloway leave Jed in the end?

3.  Why does Zampano bother to compare historical stories to Holloway’s adventure in the house?

4.  Why did Johnnie kill the Pekinese dog?

No comments:

Post a Comment