The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Julie Morvitz

Chapters V-VIII

At the beginning of Chapter V, I wondered why the echo was brought up and what it had to do with the story.  I had never thought that echo would have more than one interpretation before, because I had never thought of it other than something very simple. I found out while reading the chapter that in order to understand the Navidson house, one would also have to understand the myths concerning echos.  I liked that Truant had wondered the same thing that I had, until Zampano spoke about being alone. 

            After reading of Karen’s past, I was very surprised.  I wondered what had made Karen’s life change so drastically in her 15th year, and why no one but her sister had noticed it.  I also wondered if this had anything to do with why she is claustrophobic now, and why she is terrified of the house, in contrast to Navidson. 

            As Navidson’s curiosity got the better of him and he went into the hallway, I was unsure of how his adventure would pan out.  I found this part very gripping, because I didn’t know if or how Navidson would get out of the maze.  I also had this same thought when Holloway’s crew trekked into the hallway a few times, and ventured to the unknown staircase.  As I came to the end of Chapter VIII, I wanted to find out what had happened to Holloway and his team.   

Questions

1.  Why does Karen’s condition get worse as she gets more intimate with her family?

2.  Why doesn’t the house allow animals into its secret passageways?

3.  What do you think happened to Holloway and his team?

No comments:

Post a Comment