The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Kristy Medina

Jorge Luis Borges' Gardening of Forking Paths is probably one of my favorite Borges' short stories next to Et Cetera. It yet again talks about the break down of a labyrinth but this story actually talks about the labyrinth and the different ways one can think of a labyrinth. This is probably why I liked it so much because instead of thinkning about how these characters see the labyrinth, like in House of Leaves the reader is told more or less how the labyrinth looks like. In the previous story, the Library of Babel, we were given some detail on what the laybrinth looks like. Here, in Garden of Forking Paths, the different possibilities are actually discussed. Ts'ui Pen says that the Garden is an incomplete imagine of the universe. Albert thinks the Garden is a "huge riddle." Nevertheless, the conclusion is that it is a complex, infinite set. It was still interesting to hear about different interpertations instead of just an infinite staircase filled with blackness. I'm ambivalent to the ending- I usually like clear endings where I know what happens but I also like the idea of having the reader think about what happens in the story because it's more interactive. Still, one of my favorites. I really like Borges (for the most part).

No comments:

Post a Comment