The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Janie Cherestal

I thought that the story “The Lottery in Babylon” was a little strange in that the lottery that is meant to reward people was turned into a system that can lead to one’s death, yet the characters of the narrative continued to participate in it to avoid being called a coward. I have never been in such a situation, but I imagine that in the face of being called a coward or possibly being killed, I would pick being called a coward. In the story, the risk that one put in playing the lottery were meant to reflect the chances of everyday life, and how one day we may find luck, and on the next disaster- an idea that I felt was pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment