The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Elisabeth Jeremko

I cannot decide if I like or dislike “The House of Asterion”. It contains a unique perspective and bizarre elements, like the lockless, infinite doors. Asterion is fascinating as a character and the emphasis on the House throws off the reader from ever guessing Asterion would be a minotaur. One question that lingers in my mind is, what is the significance of “14”? It is not a number that I have seen pop up as symbolic. So I wonder why Borges picked fourteen to represent infinity and keep showing up in the story? Asterion says that he may have created the house, but does not remember it. What would propel him to think this (merely his ignorance…or his rich imagination?). The ideas that get presented in the story are interesting, but they leave me questioning more than feeling like I have the answers. The story is so short that so much is left ambiguous and unfulfilling in terms of explanation. I also want to know who the redeemer is supposed to be? If Asterion is the minotaur, who would be the redeemer? I found the very ending so sad…that the minotaur “hardly defended itself” (Borges, 222). Somehow, even though not understanding much, I still was emotionally invested in Asterion and felt bad for his imprisonment of solitude and then how the story ends. Has Asterion been redeemed by the end, through this act?

No comments:

Post a Comment