The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Emily Skahill

The two readings were really short and as always really boring. hopefully the readings will be more interesting soon. Borges is a really bad writer in my opinion. maybe in his time he was wonderful but i think it's way past his time. his writing is worse than shakespeare. i hate shakespeare at least its kind of interesting though.

I really liked Al mutasim, it sort of teaches the reader about how life can be if  they have religion in their lives. Committing murder is a sin and the law student in this story murders a person to renounce his religion. This story is about a loss of faith and a mans search for it. .

I don’t know, I really hate having to read Borges. it's so boring and i have trouble staying awake throughout each reading.

1 comment:

Michael Lampasona said...

I'm going to have to disagree with this post slightly. Shakespeare is not a bad writer, he's actually one of the best writers in history. William Shakespeare also was well known for writing his plays in iambic pentameter, which is difficult considering the beauty and hidden messages in his works. There are even college courses dedicated solely to Shakespeare's works. These courses are taught at top tier universities around the world.

Also, you said you fall asleep reading Borges. I find that I fall asleep easier if I don't get the recommended 6 to 8 hours of sleep per night. I'm not saying that people can't function on 5 hours of sleep - I have seen it happen. However, try to sleep enough, and don't drink caffeinated beverages late... they'll keep you up all night!

When you're reading, try to be in a well lit room. If your roommate is loud or annoying, most residence halls have a student study area (I like to call it a lounge), where you can do your work in quiet. I hope future readings bring you more joy then these have.

-Michael Lampasona

Post a Comment