The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Nian Liu

Death and the Compass

In “Death and the Compass”, Borges presciently anticipates developments in contemporary physics and scientific thought, constructing a literary environment that systemically gives the lie to the dream of rational determinism, suggesting instead something like a disorder from shifting from one religion to another. Death and the Compass was hard to follow because I would have to do a lot of back tracking to the highlights to the specific dates that happened prior to the murders. I wasn’t really into detective stories so I had a very confusing time reading Death and the Compass because when I read I don’t really like testing my memory to sort out the final clue to what really happened in the end and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment