The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Katherine Tesi

I found Borges’ “The Book of Sand” relatively interesting, but it was surely no surprise that Borges once again uses the idea of the infinite and labyrinths. We find Borges as the narrator and main character again, which I have found that I like a little better. I find it more intriguing when Borges is the main character, simply because I feel as though the story being told could be a first hand account of an event. We also find a theme of religion within this story in that the stranger is selling Bibles and Borges has a collection of Bibles. Throughout all of the time that Borges has spent referring to the infinite and labyrinths, I have found it increasingly interesting as the stories have progressed. I really do enjoy how many of his stories portray an idea similar to this one; if a person becomes obsessive about the infinite in any aspect of life, it will surely drive them insane. In the stories which have been read during class, we find that the characters are temporarily consumed by this obsession but they seem to always return to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment