The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Janie Cherestal

I enjoyed reading Borges’ “The Other” because the aspect of someone meeting the past version of themselves was pretty interesting and gave the story a supernatural twist. I felt that the fact that Borges was able to develop such a complex story such as this one proves the kind of intelligence he possessed. I was disappointed that Borges did not meet up with his past self at the end of the story because I was very curious to know whether or not the entire encounter was just a figment of the imagination, as had the young Borges speculated, or reality. Although I never learned if this was a actual incident, I enjoyed the contrast Borges created between the consciousnesses of the past and present, and between reality and the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment