The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Emily Skahill

Truthfully, this novel is confusing me. It's hard to follow The Navidson Record because Truant's footnotes are always in the middle of pages. Traunt's stories are easier to follow whereas The Navidson Record seems to be constantly building anticipation for future events while giving a background for all the characters. Despite my confusion I'm still very curious to find out what will happen. Does the word house have a deeper meaning other than a place people reside? Navidson does not seem very sane at some points, is there something in particular wrong with him? Are all the footnotes relevant to the story? I mean, is it important to read about Navidson's childhood, will it help me to understand the novel better? This novel is really going to freak me out. For example, Traunt's description of someone waiting in the silence for him about to attack really scared me. I'm scared yet still intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment