The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Robert Stevens

Well, I must say, this novel is a bit confusing for me to read. At first glance, it has the appearance of being two separate stories rather than Truant’s footnotes being a compliment to Zampano’s story. The mention of the old trunk being made in Utica, NY stood out in my mind, as I grew up not 35 miles from there and have family in that area (although I doubt it has much to do with the story). I was intrigued by the notion that the and the fact that Zampano’s story at one point had consumed Truant just as it had himself (which may have led to his death?). I also don’t understand the concept of why Navidson’s house would suddenly be bigger on the inside than the outside. Could that symbolize something wrong within Navidson himself? If you read the inside flap, there are several scribblings about murder there, is that significant? Either way, it is kind of creepy.
…and why is “house” always written in blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment