The blog for SUNY Binghamton's Spring'09 COLI 214B 02 Literature and Society Class. Chapter summaries, analyses and discussion of prescribed texts written by students.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Janie Cherestal

While reading House of Leaves, I found the storyline of Navidson, his family, and the mysterious house to be both captivating and peculiar. I enjoyed the way that the author characterized each individual of the story and how he described their interactions with each other. I also liked the bit about the impossible dimensions of Navidson’s house, for it gave the story an eerie, science-fiction-like twist that caught my attention, and how the author linked the event to the different ways adults and children face dilemmas in life.
However, I was confused by who was actually the voice of the story, for it is said that the story is written by a man named Zampaño, yet the extensive footnotes are told by a man named Johnny. I was also puzzled by the fact that the footnotes were so long and what significance they held to the story. Furthermore, what could possibly be stalking Navidson in the opening pages of the novel and Johnny in one of his accounts?

No comments:

Post a Comment